Position: Managing Director
Location: Washington, DC
Org Description: The Outrage is your hub for activism — providing both the scaffolding and venue to make change a reality through sustained civic engagement. We seek to be the megaphone, not the voice, as we build community and shift culture by leveraging events, activations, fashion, marketing, membership, and IRL community spaces to amplify social issues. In just 5 years, we’ve built a self-sustaining model that simultaneously builds community, mobilizes that community to act, while also donating proceeds back to the very orgs we’re supporting (to date, over six figures). With flagship headquarters based on Piscataway Land in Washington, DC, we’re poised and ready to build a network of hubs for activism across the nation in the coming years. In this world where we’re all craving and calling for structural change, The Outrage is a supplemental platform to ensure social change is achieved. Welcome to your hub for activism. We’re so glad you’re outraged.
Position Summary: The Outrage is seeking a seasoned leader to serve as our Managing Director, responsible for the daily operations of the organization. The Managing Director will supervise our DC-based team and oversee the daily function of the organization as it pertains to retail, operations, community, and more. The Managing Director will direct and control the org’s operations and provide information, guidance, and counsel to team members. This position will work closely with the leadership team to implement long-term strategies and achieve organizational goals, ensuring goals are met through the org’s available resources. Our dream candidate has proven success galvanizing teams behind a shared vision, while delivering results to meet growth to an ever-increasing demand for the org’s services. This is a full-time position available at our headquarters located in Washington, DC.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Team Management + Organizational Leadership: Serve as a leader to DC-based team including direct oversight, project management, support, guidance, and leadership to DC-based roles (ie. Retail Manager, Operations Manager, Community Manager, and more) while providing holistic vision across organization. Serve as daily decision maker and update the leadership team as needed. Serve as a resource and thought partner throughout the organization. Regular availability on-site in DC to problem solve for staff and support facilities and organizational needs. Plan regular staff meetings, internal team retreats, trainings, as well as celebrations and recognitions. Support capacity building efforts such as project management, training, resource securement. Responsible for connecting the IRL experience to the online experience as appropriate.
- Financial Oversight: Oversee the maintenance and meeting of financial goals for the organization. Serve as a financial backstop for the organization proactively flagging when goals are off track and celebrating and doubling down on successful efforts. Work closely with staff to support on-going financial management and accounting work. Liaise with outsourced accounting and audit firms as needed. Support the development and adherence to the annual budget, regularly monitor budget vs. actuals, cash flow projections, and financial statements.
- Operational Improvements: Identify recurring challenges to work that need new or revised systems and work collaboratively to analyze the problem and design solutions. Grow operations in a smooth and sustainable manner as The Outrage expands to new locations in coming years.
- Admin & Accounting: Support on-going accounting functions including weekly + monthly work, annual audit, and work to ensure compliance with accounting and grant requirements. Own bookkeeping for all non-payroll and rent expenses.
- Operations Support: Support operational needs for the organization, specifically during rapid response windows, including merchandise ordering, inventory management, shipping, and customer service.
- Overflow Support and Special Projects: Serve as a floater to support the team in times of high capacity and/or on a project-by-project basis. This position will also work on special projects from time to time including wholesale opportunities, management of third-party contractors, and more.
- DC Business Development: — Responsible for building The Outrage’s DC profile and business development opportunities — ie. every single progressive entity knows we’re here and what we’re offering. This could include oversight of pop-ups, DC expansions, and more.
Commitment + Attributes:
- 5+ years relevant management experience.
- Ability to vision and think strategically while implementing and executing tactically.
- Broad knowledge and experience in organizational development, employee relations, training and development, and employment law.
- Detail-oriented & comfortable managing organizational compliance requirements, risk management, and grant requirements.
- Strong budgetary and financial management skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player. Utmost discretion, personal integrity and professionalism.
- Outstanding verbal, written, and listening skills.
- Ability to juggle multiple demands, manage shifting priorities, and negotiate timelines.
- An engaging and dynamic manner that demonstrates warmth and good humor when working with individuals.
- Qualities of maturity, humility, strong work ethic, and a roll-up-my-sleeves attitude. Ability to thrive in an evolving environment.
- Remain focused in the face of pressure, delivers against timelines, not intimidated by tasks/time limitations
- Can balance and carefully navigate the contradictions and challenges that arise in human-centered non-profit work that must operate within a sustainable financial framework.
- Awareness of current culture as it relates to the multi-faceted nature of The Outrage with deep passion for The Outrage brand + mission.
- Rooted in intersectionality and familiar with a wide range of social movements + issues, working towards abolition, and comfortable working in complexities (ie. capitalism, marketplace feminism, decentralized leadership, etc).
Perks of working for The Outrage:
- Full health, dental, and vision for employees
- Flexible PTO and 11 paid holidays
- The salary range for this position is $65,000-75,000
Send your resume and a brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Managing Director’ as the subject line.
The Outrage is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, citizenship status, disability status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression of an otherwise qualified individual, or membership in any other class protected by applicable law. The Outrage hires and promotes individuals on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled. We strongly encourage diverse applicants to apply.